May is finally here! The month brings us sunshine, the unofficial start of summer, white pants and the start of outdoor events and activities in downtown Chicago.
It’s a great time to visit the Second City. Here are some things to plan your vacation around this month:
- May 4-6: Chicago Cinco de Mayo Festival – Celebrate Mexican independence at this 3rd annual gala in Little Village, the heart of Chicago’s Mexican community.
- May 26-27: Belmont-Sheffield Music Festival – The kickoff of outdoor street fests, the 28th annual Belmont-Sheffield Music Festival is a line-up of local bands rocking all day with only a $5 gate donation to party with them.
- May 27: Bike the Drive – Take advantage of one of few times the busy lakeside highway is closed to automobiles. Cyclists can hop on LSD at Columbus and Jackson then head north to Bryn Mawr and south to 57th for 30 miles of scenic highway.
- May 31- June 3: Chicago Maifest – Food, dancing and live entertainment. What more could you want? Oh, there’s German gemutlichkeit too!
Chicago Museum Exhibit Openings
- May 16: Roy Lichtenstetin: A Retrospective at the Art Institute of Chicago – Check out the work of one of the most iconic artists of this century. The exhibit will be bold and colorful and not to miss!
- May 26: Extreme Mammals opens at the Field Museum – Learn about the ancestry and evolution of numerous living and extinct species—from huge to tiny, speedy to slothlike and animals with oversized claws, fangs, snouts and horns.
Sports in Chicago
- Beginning of May: Bulls playoff games – Cheer on the team and SEE RED!
- All month: Chicago Cubs games – This could be the year! Betray the curse and cheer on the north side team in Wrigleyville then hit Clark Street for the after-party.
- All month: Chicago White Sox games – Make plans to see the team at The Cell and don’t miss all of the extraordinary ballpark offered at the Southside stadium.
Click here to book your hotel room at Hyatt Regency Chicago and save 15% off valet the room rate plus 50% off parking. Summer’s headed to downtown Chicago. See you there!
You’re more than welcome at Hyatt Regency Chicago, 151 East Wacker Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60601; +1 312 565 1234.