This week’s recommendations come from our Marketing Manager, Patricia Kanke, and she’s planned an incredible afternoon enjoying great eats & pumpkin picking around Chicago this October weekend!
- Best Venue for a Craft Beer: Lagunitas
- Overlooking their brewery operation, my favorite place to grab a beer and some great food is Lagunitas Tap Room. This place is amazing – from the time you step foot into the Willy Wonka-themed entryway, to the live music, to the amazing food and fresher-than-fresh beer. Check out their gift shop afterwards, too! A little shopping after a few strong beers? Well-played, Lagunitas. Well. Played.
2. Best Pizza: Roots in Ukrainian Village
- Never been? You need to go – trust me on this one. Quad-city style pizza with a beer/cocktail menu larger than the Encyclopedia Britannica. You must try their home-made mozzarella sticks and taco pizza. You won’t be disappointed with this Ukrainian Village nosh spot. Great atmosphere and plenty of outdoor seating before it gets too cold! Great place to catch the big game, too!
3. Best Park: Maggie Daley Park is …
- – awesome! They have a rock climbing wall, swings for kids, a great walking path through the whole park, and lots more. You’re in the heart of the city in this park, but it feels so private that you forget all of the hustle and bustle of what is happening around you. It’s a great place for kids on the weekends (their Play Garden is great!) or a relaxing place to have a picnic at (they have Picnic Groves!) . This is definitely on my list of top favorites for when friends come into town. The skating ribbon in the winter is a great place to go when Chicago’s winter arrives. Just because it’s cold out, doesn’t mean the fun has to stop at this great park!
4. Best Donut: Stan’s
- I can’t even describe to you the deliciousness of Stan’s Donuts and Coffee. They have 2 locations in Chicago – one in Streeterville and one in Wicker Park. Both very walkable from my work and home…this is very dangerous for me. There is another location opening soon in East Lakeview. Pretty soon they will take over the world with their delectable donut menu. They have everything from an Old Fashioned (my favorite) to gluten-free, vegan or a maple caramel bacon pecan bar. Say that 10 times fast!
5. Best Fall pumpkin picking: Goebbert’s
- It’s a bit out of the way from downtown Chicago, but definitely worth the visit. Goebbert’s Farm and Garden Center in South Barrington is a great place to take the kiddos’ to for pumpkins, gourds and fun! Not to be rivaled by Stan’s, but Goebbert’s makes a mean apple cider donut. Just sayin’… Goebbert’s has animals, a play yard, corn stalk maze, pig races, games and wagon rides! Great place to get the obligatory “we found THE perfect pumpkin so let’s take an awkward family photo holding it” picture. Great place to go for a little fall fun!
Need a hotel room this weekend? Stay at Hyatt Regency Chicago and enjoy a special discount when using our social media rate, use offer code CHIFAN. Click here to reserve your downtown Chicago hotel room and save!